Sunday, June 7, 2015

The Plate To Do • Dorm/Kitchen DIY



Are you a list person? Who doesn't find joy in making lists- and even better- crossing things off! This tutorial is perfect for your kitchen counter or dorm room desk (it's light and easy to transport if you're going to school far away)!

Today I crafted with my friend Kendall who is starting her freshman year of college this fall! She wanted something easy to stick in her suitcase that would compliment her room theme and help her organize her busy college life! We came up with this adorable plate To Do List!

Step one: Supplies! We went to about 3 different stores before we found the perfect plate to use. We ended up finding this one at Ross for $1.99. We made sure to use a plastic plate so it would be easy to transport and, if it fell, we wouldn't have to worry about it breaking. 




We also bought a cheap plastic frame stand at Beverly's for $2.


Step two: The paint! I am a fan of saving money and using primary colors to mix any color I want to use. Please look at my other blog post about mixing colors! For the center of the plate, we used chalkboard paint.



Before I actually painted the plate, I quickly primed it with white. Then I started with the chalkboard paint. I find that putting on many separate layers works great. It is especially important to make sure each layer is dry before you continue painting. My tip is to use a hairdryer (on low) to speed up the drying process (unless you are patient, which I tend not to be). I like using a foam brush to paint, but a regular paint brush can work as well!





We decided to paint the stand a dusty purple, and the plate chalkboard in the center with white around the edges. You can, of course, do anything; this is the time for your creativity to kick in!

Step three: The design! We wanted to add some element of purple to the plate so we decided to put lines around its edge. We put painters tape around the plate and then filled it in using Q-Tips as our brushes. Again, this is your time to experiment, so do whatever you think looks good!


Now it's time to whip out your chalk and write some lists!!









Remember crafters, be crazy!
xxx,
Zaria

No comments:

Post a Comment